Each year, AFLV appoints about two dozen experienced fraternity/sorority professionals and volunteers to the Awards & Assessment Committee.
Role of the Awards & Assessment Committee
The role of the Awards & Assessment Committee is three-fold.
- Committee members serve as awards judges who thoroughly review every application, provide objective measure and written feedback, and consult with councils about awards applications during the AFLV Central and AFLV West Fraternal Leadership Conferences.
- Committee members assist the Director of Assessment & Awards with the annual review and weighting of awards criteria.
- Committee members – past and present – serve as an advisory voice to AFLV for the Assessment & Awards Program and have the opportunity to serve as Awards Consultants.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Serve a one-year term beginning about October 1, or on the date of selection each fall.
- Attend awards judging weekend January 5-8, 2017.
- Attend either AFLV Central (February) or AFLV West (April).
- Actively participate in the weighting of awards categories and criteria prior to judging weekend.
- Complete non-judging projects of the committee such as writing press releases, presenting educational programs about the process, preparing assessment reports, and supporting the Director of Assessment & Awards as needed.
- Awards committee members are full-time professionals or seasoned volunteers in the field of fraternity/sorority advising. Graduate students are not eligible for this role.
Important Information for Those Selected
- Judging will take place from January 5-8, 2017 at the JW Marriott in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- First-year judges should arrive to judging weekend by 2:00 p.m. Returning judges are invited to arrive anytime between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on January 5. All judges must schedule departure so they can remain on-site until noon on January 8 (flight departures after 2:00 p.m. are recommended).
- In exchange for judges’ time and effort, judges receive a $125 discount for professional conference registration to the undergraduate fraternal leadership conference of their choice; this discount is non-transferable.
- AFLV will cover airfare (reimbursable) and lodging costs during judging weekend, including meals from dinner on January 5 through breakfast on January 8. Other meals during travel are the responsibility of the individual.