Each year, AFLV appoints about two dozen experience fraternity/sorority professionals and volunteers to the Assessment & Awards Committee.
The role of the A&ACommittee is three-fold:
- Committee members serve as awards judges who thoroughly review every application, provide objective measure and written feedback, and consult with councils about awards applications during the Central Fraternal Leadership/National Black Greek Leadership Conference and West Fraternal Leadership/National Cultural Greek Leadership Conference.
- Committee members assist the Director of Assessment & Awards with the annual review and weighting of awards criteria.
- Committee members – past and present – serve as an advisory voice to AFLV for the Assessment & Awards Program and have the opportunity to serve as Awards Consultants.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Serve a one-year term beginning about October 1, or on the date of slection each fall.
- Attend awards judging weekend January.
- Attend one AFLV undergraduate fraternal leadership conference (CFL/NBGLC or WFL/NCGLC).
- Actively participate in the weighting of awards categories and criteria prior to judging weekend.
- Complete non-judging projects of the committee such as writing press releases, presenting educational programs about the process, and supporting the Director of Assessment & Awards as needed.
- Committee members will be full-time professionals or seasoned volunteers in the field of fraternity/sorority advising. Graduate students are not eligible for this role.
· Awards committee members are full-time professionals or seasoned volunteers in the field of fraternity/sorority advising. Graduate students are not eligible for this role.
Important Information for Those Selected (2013):
- Judging will take place from January 10-13, 2013 at the JW Marriott in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- First-year judges must arrive to judging weekend in time to begin work by 2:00 p.m. on January 10. Returning judges are invited to arrive anytime between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. that day. All judges must schedule departure so they can remain onsite until noon on January 13 (flight departures after 2:00 p.m.).
- In exchange for judges’ time and effort, judges receive a $125 discount for professional conference registration to the undergraduate fraternal leadership conference of their choice; this discount is non-transferable.
- AFLV will pay travel and lodging costs during judging weekend, including meals from dinner on January 10 through breakfast on January 13. Other meals during travel are the responsibility of the individual.
The application deadline has passed and committee appointments made for 2013. Individuals interested in serving on the A&A Committee in the future should complete an AFLV Involvement Form.
Direct questions to Ryan Hilperts, Director of Assessment & Awards.